Search

Derby Summer House Massachusetts Statues Milkmaid and Reaper by David M McIntire



An article "The Milkmaid and Reaper A Refutation of Kimball and Swan." by David M. McIntire

The Milkmaid and Reaper are two wooden statues that stood on the roof of the

Derby Summer House. The figures that are presently on the roof of the summer house

are reproductions. The Peabody Essex Museum has the original Milkmaid in

storage and the original Reaper is on the 2ndfloor of the mansion at Glen Magna

Farm. The summer house designed by Samuel McIntire for Elias Hasket

Derby and was builtin 1794 on the Derby Farm at the corner of Andover Streetand

Buttonwood Lane in South Danvers, Massachusetts (now Peabody). In 1901 Ellen

Peabody Endicott purchased the summer house.Mrs. Endicott had the summer house

moved 3.5 miles to her Glen Magna Farm. Glen Magna Farm is now owned by

the Danvers Historical Society.

Grace Batchelder Underwood; Kendall Osborn; Mehitable Whittemore; Richard Trask; Amos King; Salem, Massachusetts; Ebon Sutton; Sutton Mills; Benjamin Pickman;

Read Full Article PDF

Milkmaid-and-Reaper
.pdf
Download PDF • 2.58MB

43 views0 comments