Looking Outward from the Barn, Loring Estate, Beverly Farms, Massachusetts 1858
Artist : Samuel Masury, born Salem, MA 1818-died 1874 Credit Line : Smithsonian American Art Museum, Museum purchase from the Charles Isaacs Collection made possible in part by the Luisita L. and Franz H. Denghausen Endowment.
Photo from Boston Globe Story Creator: Steve Rosenthal | Credit: Steve Rosenthal
The Loring House was built in 1881 for Charles Loring, a Civil War general who became the first director of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. It was designed by Boston architect William Ralph Emerson, a cousin of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Read more Civil War general's home becomes a $3.75M tear-down Beverly Historic District Commission's delay expired in April